For this unit, there is a discussion on INTERVIEWS AND EYEWITNESS IDENTIFICATIONS (CORRESPONDS TO CHAPTER 6 OF YOUR TEXT).
Each unit, you will submit a QTIP (Quote, Thought, Interesting Point). The assignment is designed to assist you learn concepts in the class. Your post should have factual information and YOU MUST INCLUDE YOUR PERSONAL THOUGHTS and OPINIONS on the topic
WATCH THE FOLLOWING TedTalks:
- Loftus, E. (2013, June). Elizabeth Loftus: The fiction of memory [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_loftus_the_fiction_of_memory?language=en (Links to an external site.)
- Fraser, S. (2012, May). Scott Fraser: Why eyewitnesses get it wrong [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/scott_fraser_the_problem_with_eyewitness_testimony (Links to an external site.)
ANSWER/DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING
- Summarize each discussion and then discuss how these discussions relate to criminal investigations and the suspect identification process.
- What steps should an investigator take to avoid conflicts addressed by Loftus and Fraser? Why do you believe this?
- Why do people frequently misidentify suspects to crimes? Is there a law enforcement investigator bias that may encourage misidentification? Explain.
REMEMBER: You are not sending out a text message or tweet, so when writing your post, use proper English, grammar and writing mechanics. Make sure you include what you think about the respective section you are discussing.
Initial Post – First, you will post to the forum by providing some background information followed up by your thoughts and opinions on the respective topic. It must be substantive and thoughtful dialogue. Use outside sources such as the news, Internet, popular media, your textbook, journal articles, etc…to assist you here. Make sure to cite your work
This section must be at least 300 words minimum. Include a word count in parenthesis at the end.
Make sure to use proper APA Formatting to cite your work