In connection with the readings and videos for this week, we shall be discussing as a group the materials for this week.
As a reminder, here is the list of materials including extra credit that we covered for the week:
- Carmen Maria Machado | “Eight Bites” (Gulf Coast, 2017)
- Lindsay Ellis | “My Monster Boyfriend” (2018, YouTube)
- Jeffrey Jerome Cohen | “Monster Culture (Seven Theses)” (Monster Culture)
- Nathan Rabin | “The Monkey and the Metaphor: What Every King Kong Movie Is Really About” (Vanity Fair)
- READUS 101 | “The Shape of Water: Falling In Love With Monsters (Feat. Lindsay Ellis) ” (2018, YouTube)
- Ross Showalter | “Night Moves” (BWR Magazine)
- When They See Us (2019, Netflix)
After you have reviewed your notes/annotations on the videos and readings for this week, respond to the following questions:
- How did you feel reading through this week’s articles and watching the videos? Were they easy or hard to read/watch? (This answer only needs to cover the required sources for the week.)
- What did you like/dislike about about the materials this week? (This answer only needs to cover the required sources for the week.)
- What was your favorite thing you read for this unit so far? Why?
- What was your favorite thing you watched for this unit so far? Why?
- Share at least three points that stood out to you from the materials this week?
- What was your biggest A-HA moment or takeaway? (This can be from any of the sources or involve all of them.)
- This question is optional, and thus you do not have to answer it to receive full points. Do you have any questions for me or your fellow classmates about any of the materials we have covered this week? (If you have questions from your Annotation Worksheets, you can post them here.)
- Your initial response should be 150-300 words per question.