- We are going to be watching two video essays this week by YouTubers that cover the subject of monsters.
- The first video we are going to be watching a video essay by YouTuber Lindsay Ellis instead of a TED talk. (I really enjoy watching her work, and she does impeccable research.) This video directly correlates with our work on the research paper about Monsters. Many of the claims Ellis makes directly relate to theses from Cohen’s chapter. After you have watched the short video, respond to the following questions:
- What is Ellis’ thesis or main argument?
- What does Ellis use to back up her claims? What kind of examples does she share with her audience?
- Does Ellis try to appeal to your logic, your emotions or both? Think about the big three rhetorical strategies (ethos, pathos, logos) and discuss: Does Ellis effectively appeal to her audience? (Remember to use specific examples.)
- What connections or parallels can you make between Cohen’s chapter, Rabin’s article, and Ellis’ video?
- What was your biggest takeaway or AHA moment from this Talk? What interested you or surprised you the most?
“My Monster Boyfriend” | Lindsay Ellis
- The second video for this week is by LaRon Readus and was created in conjunction as a sort of companion to the Lindsey Ellis video.
- Once you have watched the video, please answer the following questions:
- What was your AHA moment from this video or what stuck out to you most?
- What connections can you make between this video and Cohen’s chapter?
- How does this source expand, alter, or improve your knowledge of monsters and how we can analyze them through the lens of race and class?
- Does Readus try to appeal to your logic, your emotions or both? Think about the big three rhetorical strategies (ethos, pathos, logos) and discuss: Does Readus effectively appeal to his audience? (Remember to use specific examples.)
The Shape of Water: Falling In Love With Monsters (Feat. Lindsay Ellis) | READUS 101
- Your initial response should be 150-300 words per question. Your intial response must also contain answers to both videos.