Learning Activity 2 Instructions
Topic: Health of Virginians
In this learning activity, you will review secondary data sources for details about the health of Virginians. Target 1 Virginia county or community of interest in the following data sources; briefly scan the health assessment information to get a more detailed picture about the health status of Virginians in that specific locale or region. Then, look more closely at the health data concerning 1 of the 5 health ranking determinants you wrote about in Learning Activity 1.
- Virginia Department of Health Data & Statistics
- County Health Rankings
- SMART: BRFSS Data
Following the principles of epidemiologic inquiry, answer the following questions regarding the information you uncovered about 1 health determinant in your selected county or community. Give your response in a post of 400–500 words.
- Person: Describe the population expressing the determinant
- How many (percentage of population or rate) are described by this determinant?
- How is the determinant expressed in the population (age, gender, education, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics)?
- Compare segments of the population (who has the most/least, at greatest/least risk)?
- Place: Describe the location with regard to the determinant
- Is the determinant seen more in urban or rural regions?
- What other characteristics define the prevalence of the determinant in the region (housing, geography, topography, etc.)?
- Compare other locations with the one you selected (how does prevalence compare in neighboring counties, the state, or the nation)?
- Period: Describe the time trends of the determinant
- Over the past few years, has the prevalence rate decreased or increased or stayed about the same? (i.e., is it getting better or worse?)
- Compare the time trends of the state and the nation with those of your location. Are they better, worse, or similar?
- Conclusion: From the information you gathered about the health determinant, describe a priority population within the locale you investigated in which to address the health determinant of focus. This will be the focus of a public health intervention you will develop across the remaining learning activities.
Submit Learning Activity 2 by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 2.